at Shapeways LIC
Next Tuesday, at a brand new venue in San Francisco, the SFJAZZ Center, I’ll report on the story so far and where it is heading over the next century or two.
“Reviving Extinct Species,” Stewart Brand, SFJAZZ Center, Hayes Valley, San Francisco, 7pm, Tuesday, May 21. The show starts promptly at 7:30pm.
To be sure of a seat:
• Long Now Members can use the discount code on the Brand Seminar page to reserve 2 free seats.
• You can purchase tickets for $15 each.
• Tune into the live audio stream for Long Now Members at 7:30 PST - become a member for just $8 a month.
Share this talk: Stewart Brand, “Reviving Extinct Species” Long Now talk on 5/21 http://goo.gl/d1qDp
Tetris Club - Now Voting
A bioengineer and geneticist at Harvard’s Wyss Institute have successfully stored 5.5 petabits of data — around 700 terabytes — in a single gram of DNA, smashing the previous DNA data density record by a thousand times.
This! just this! I can’t wait for this to be available and the bio hacks that can come from it.
By Smackall Games Pvt Ltd
Capture yourself in 3D Space. App scans surfaces in 3 dimensional space using Kinect, and stores the 3d mesh into specified file format. The file can then be viewed or imported to other 3D softwares like Blender and Meshlabs to be used for other applications like games and movie making.
> This app turned out to be a mistake. I’m not sure if it wants a Xbox only
> Kinect or what, but I’m not alone in not being able to make it work..
> “Ouch” says my pride,
An FBI guidance manual says the law enforcement agency is able to access U.S. residents’ email, Facebook and Twitter messages, and private documents, without breaching the Fourth Amendment.
This disturbs me greatly
The Australian Museum in partnership with the Atlas of Living Australia (www.ala.org.au) has created a crowdsourcing website that allows volunteers to assist the museum in transcribing its collections, anywhere anytime.
· The Biodiversity Volunteer Portal (http://volunteer.ala.org.au/) is where volunteers can transcribe specimen labels, field notes, and expedition diaries.
· Volunteers on the site say they feel that it is a rewarding experience knowing that the information they capture becomes accessible to scientists, conservation agencies and government departments across the country who can then work together to better understand, manage and conserve our precious biodiversity.
We are seeking…
… dedicated detail oriented people who are willing to join the community of volunteers who are helping with the daunting task of digitising the Museum’s large natural history collections.
Get involved …
Staples is selling 3D printers
For $1,300 you can start printing three-dimensional objects.
*Editor note: This is not a sponsored…
My birthday is coming up guys…
The search is over: Fermilab chooses new director
The Doctor will take over as Fermilab’s director beginning July 1.